Providence-class carrier for Star Wars Armada – Repaint Commission
My brief for this Providence-class carrier was to repaint it in “Panzer grey”, add plenty of weathering and battle damage, and add some specific sigils.
My client is building a custom pirate fleet and this is going to be a flagship, so the demand for quality was high.
Painting The Hull
The hull was stippled with a round dry-brush (as I seem to do on any large miniature these days), with the blueish panzer grey built up from a black undercoat.
I then applied lots of passes with lighter and lighter tones using a dry-brush to “buff” the raised surfaces and surfaces facing the front.
Sigils Using Water Transfers
We abandoned the idea of adding a sigil to the very front of ship – it was too hard to see and the space available for it was tiny.
The two Delta symbols added to the left and right sides towards the front look good though. They were made using water transfers as my freehand skills are a bit lacking!
Weathering and Battle Damage
I added a couple of layers of weathering, first adding scratches and some paint chips ; primarily, I added the chips over the delta decals in order to break-up their outline.
I then added larger areas of rust/corrosion, with the final item being a large impact crater.
Firstly, I went a bit over the top with the battle damage – I think next time I’ll add fewer patches.
Secondly, I think the hull required much more distressing using chips, scratches, stains, pigments and other general chaos before I did the battle damage. I think the underlying hull still looks a bit to new.
(It’s ironic – I was super pleased with the look of the virgin hull before the battle damage was added!)