Painted Barricades from Star Wars Legion Core Set
I had a bunch of barricades hanging around from a Star Wars Legion core set so I figured I’d uses them to experiment with adding weather effects and other distressing.
Note, the set includes a 9th barricade which is a 3D printed one I acquired at some point.
The Base Coat
I spilt the set into two haves to provide some variety and so that I could compare the different colours.
I stippled the base coats on with Artis Opus dry-brushes, added some shades and then dry-brushed to pick out the edges. The great thing about using stippling is that it is quick to do and gives your bases coat some texture to start with.
I wanted to find a quick and reliable way to create scratches on the paint work. I experimented and ended up using a couple of knackered old brushes with some pretty dry paint. You get control of the direction of the scratches, but they are applied in a chaotic fashion as to not look ‘deliberate’ as they would if you painted them on normally.
Rust and Corrosion
Corrosion was added by first painting off-white (light grey), and then adding in some dark browns and a bit of black to the centre of the of-white.
I tried a couple of methods for adding the patches of corrosion. I found that using a sponge was a bit of a pain so settled on kinda stippling the off-white with quite a dry paint. I went back in and used this method and some normal painting to add the dark bits.
I also used some GW Typhus Corrosion in the rust spots to give some variety to the colour of the corrosion.
From some of the corroded spots I used a variety of washes to drag out some stains.